Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Our Baby is Seven?


.
When we started moving into our new home the first week of December, our number one goal was to have it feel as much like a home as possible for the kids for Christmas. But we didn't want Jackson's birthday to be lost in the middle of it - so our new number one goal was to have the first night in our new home be December 11th, so Jackson could wake up to a birthday couch, and have things be as normal as possible! Well, not so sure things were "normal", but Jack did get his birthday couch, and it didn't disappoint!
.


I will never forget December of 2001 - and all the emotions that came along with it. Our country was trying to heal from 9/11 that was still so fresh to everyone. I was 64 months pregnant (or so it felt) with number four. We had 3 girls who we thoroughly enjoyed, and although we thought another girl would have been wonderful, perhaps deep inside, we secretly hoped for a baby boy to join our family.
.
So clearly in my mind, I can see my doctor, who right after delivering Jackson, spread open his legs and put his "boy parts" in front of Chip's face as if to say, "You have a son, You finally have a son!"
.
I remember thinking even through the pain and discomfort, how truly special it was to be so pregnant at Christmastime, a time we talk and think about Mary so much. I remember holding our baby boy and thinking of Mary as she held her baby boy too. I remember crying... a lot.
.
I remember that even though other emotions got in the way, the strongest was love. Love for our Jackson Lane who seven years ago, made our family feel whole. Not just because he was a boy, just because he was Jackson.
.
.

Jackson was, and still is, the best Christmas present we have ever received.
.
We love you "Jackman"!

10 comments:

Katie said...

Every time I check your blog it seems like it is someone else's birthday! I absolutely LOVE the idea of the birthday couch, it is so much fun. And thank you for your perspective on the December babies. I couldn't agree with you more on the emotions I felt as a new mom at Christmas time. There were a lot of times during the end of my pregnancy as I sang songs about the Savior where I would just cry my eyes out thinking about Mary. What a wonderful woman she must have been.

Topsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Topsy said...

ahhhh.
you made me cry.
nerd!
I still love ya

Angie Hermanson said...

I will always remember the first time I saw Jack. You guys had him in a Christmas stocking laying underneath the tree. It was fitting. What else could you want for Christmas than a beautiful healthy child straight from heaven?

I sure miss those days of being a walk away, or even a couple hours away from the Schultz's house.

Jody said...

Yay! Happy Birthday Jack!

(such a sweet post Trace.)

H said...

Aww! I love it! My baby will be EIGHT in June. ugh. LOL I love this post though.

Anonymous said...

I remember receiving a call at home that you were going to deliver within thirty minutes and not being able to leave because Kelley had the car at seminary!! So I got there too late for the delivery but by the huge grins on the faces when I finally made it about 30 minutes after he was born, I KNEW without being told(but couldn't believe) the it was a HE!! I think a lot about Mary too when I am around a new baby in December. I am sure that "ponder" is quite an understatement about the things that went through her mind.
From what I can see, your house looks warm and inviting. Love you Jack!! Happy Happy Birthday!!

Melissa said...

Ahhh, What a sweet post. Hope Jackson had a fun Birthday!

Steph said...

Happy Birthday, Jack! You're so old now!

Michelle said...

That made me want to cry. I feel the same about little Tom. Anyway, I love the birthday couch. I haven't stolen it yet, but I will, oh I will.