Saturday, August 2, 2008

All In Two Day's Work

One thing I have always been quite sure of...


I... DON'T... WANT... A... DOG. Period. Especially now! My youngest is six - he can dress himself, get his own food, buckle his seat belt, clean up most of his messes, and bathe himself. As much as I have enjoyed every stage of childhood so far, finally, I can enjoy my children in a whole new light!

So, why in the heck would I now want to have a creature in my home that will need all of those things done for him?!?!

I don't know exactly how it happened, but these thoughts have slowly, s l o w l y been changing. I must be crazy to admit that even though I KNOW there is a ton of work involved, still I am starting to believe a dog just might be a wonderful addition to our family.

Did I really just say that?
Well, it certainly wasn't overnight that this has come to be.

It was long ago that it all started. We're talkin' years. As the kids have gotten older, their desire for a dog has gotten stronger. At first it was "no way, no how, end of discussion." They knew I was serious. But eventually, they wanted me to know just how serious they were too!

Chip was no help for me, because he would actually love to welcome a dog to the family also. A yellow lab, to be exact. The more they would talk about it, the more the kids wanted to do everything they could to make this happen. And, yes, the more Chip talked about it, the more it made me start to sway...

We had many dinner conversations about a maybe, perhaps, someday dog. It took many days, but even a name was agreed upon. During this time, there just happened to be some people selling 10 yellow lab puppies on a corner here in our neighborhood. Although the kids knew we were no where near ready for one... we made the mistake of giving in and stopping. All six of us held a puppy. Gosh, they were the cutest, sweetest things. The kids couldn't believe their eyes when I picked one up. I must admit, I enjoyed it, and they were absolutely adorable! Couldn't quite accept the dog hair all over my shirt though. That's one thing I don't look forward to one bit. We stayed for a while, and the kids all said goodbye to their favorite. You can only imagine what that did to the desires of the Schultz kids' hearts!!
They really got to work.

Having a 13 and 11 year old means they are going to be creative and sly. Recently, they asked me, "Mom, if we raised every single penny we would need for a puppy and everything that comes with one, then could we get one?" Just the fact that I paused for a moment to think about it sent them squealing in delight. They thought that was a pretty good sign. In fact, they ran with it. Before I knew it, the four of them had schemed quite the plan. All money was being saved, from babysitting, to the nickels in the couch cushions, and it was actually being very well managed. Soon, they had enough for the supplies for a lemonade stand. I gave them my reluctant approval, and the rest is history...




The kids worked the lemonade stand all day Friday and all day Saturday. It was hot. They realized it was a lot harder then they thought it would be. I would be lying if I said they didn't complain a little. But Chip and I were very proud to see how hard the kids were willing to work to make this a success.

And a success it was!

When people find out their two day total.... their jaws drop.



$375.00!!!

They are definitely on their way.

And I believe whenever this does happen,

"Gunner" will be very well loved! (by me too! sshhhhhh)

14 comments:

Steph said...

Holy Moly! I was going to start substitute teaching for $, but I think I'll just get me some lemonade!! Good job! You'll LOVE having a dog. We do! (After the first 3 months or so, anyway...)

Topsy said...

whoa! Have fun with gunner. He will soil the carpet, chew through something significant, run away, and be a devilish little puppy. But you will love him so much that it will be hard to imagine what it was like before he was part of the family.
And according to my dad, it is better to get a dog for your kids when they are younger, since i got my first dog as a sophmore in high school and then left him when i went to college. :)

Holly said...

Tracy,

Ok, that was QUITE a funny post! I remember a little bit of your aversion to a dog and also that the kids would freak a bit when they would come into contact with our Pepe, so this is huge! Puppies are absoultely EVIL when it comes to not wanting a dog, but getting exposed to them anyway. They just CALL to you - "Hold me. Snuggle me. LOOOOOOOVE me!" And Labs are awesome dogs (definitely on our short list of options when we decide to get back into dog life.) And Gunnar! How fun he's already named! I honestly hear that name and think of the Nelson twins (do you remember them from the 90's? Matthew and Gunnar Nelson?) The kids did awesome for their fundraiser! They'll be able to fund their dream soon enough. I know we've been holding off on the dog option for awhile since we're still dealing with the babes in arms so I really chuckled at your comments about your youngest being fairly self-sufficient. Yup - then the dog comes, and you've got yourself a two-year old again! But they ARE loveable, and great companions and quite wonderful! It'll be great! Good luck and when the time comes for actual acquision, we'll look forward to an update post.

BTW - Thanks for your post re: WICKED. It's been fun - and more to come! Spread the word - and then, if you want, vote like crazy!!! :) Thank you so much for your continued support!

The Ball Babies said...

WOW!!! That's a lot of lemonade, otter pops, and cookies! You Schultz kids ROCK! Congratulations on earning so much dough! (How much does the puppy cost by the way? I know they're not cheap!)

We are VERY impressed and want to come hold and play with your doggy when you get him!

Dogs RULE and cats definitely drool!

Wendi said...

Seriously? Very impressive. I will definitely NOT be showing this post to my children for fear of some major pleading and eventual giving in on my part. uh uh - not gonna happen. We love out watch cat. He's great and he's enough. My kids would absolutely LOVE a dog. I just can't even imagine. But, good luck with that, Tracy!

Aunt Roo said...

Even though I already knew the story, I read it again and was still amazed! I can't wait to play with your puppy at YOUR HOUSE! Good luck Tracy. I feel for ya!

Anonymous said...

Like mother like daughter.

We do love Shadow, the dog I vowed we never would get. They are a royal pain and bring on a whole new set of problems but you will love him and feel very secure and safe with a dog.

Whenever we would take him to the beach as a puppy and people would see him romping and running and leaping into the air people would say, "In about 3 years he will be the best dog ever!" One year down, two to go. I know what they mean. He literally leaps the couch in a single bound - he is so excited to see you when you get home. If we could just get him to mellow out a little early...

Good luck. You have my congratulations and condolences.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

OH WOW .... Not to discourage you, but you are really asking for it!!! I hope you have a good supply of patience stored up, besides that winter is coming and Gunner will forever be in the house. (cats are so much easier!)
(by the way, love the name, but Gunner? What if you get a girl puppy?)

I had no idea that kind of $$ could be made with a lemonaid stand! I'm in the wrong business!

Good luck!

xox janet

Shannon said...

Wow! Very impressive! You are a braver and cooler mom than I LOL No puppies here, no way, no how.

Holly said...

my mom and i had a good chuckle at reading this tracy! and i could totally hear your voice while reading it!

i am of the "we are never going to have a dog" school as well. i have plenty of dirty diapers to change as it is, so why would i want to have to pick up doggie doo-doo? no thanks.

i guess it would be a little different if my kids were older and could actually help care for the animal, so i can see how you are warming up to the idea. plus $375 is really not too shabby! i would have definitely stopped at the schultz kid's lemonade stand!

Katie said...

I am in awe of your children! Those sweet little faces are just a facade for their clever minds!!! way to go Schultz kids! Have fun with the puppy...oh, I mean...maybe. :)

Kerri said...

What a darling post. Those kids have really got gumption, and I can't wait to see how long it takes them to meet their goal.

Jody said...

I am in shock. You really do love your kids.

(very fun post)

Ralina said...

That is awesome. Your kids are great to stick with it. That is awesome they earned so much. Who would have thought a lemonade stand would get that much in two days.