Wednesday, May 16, 2007

RACE FOR THE CURE - My first 5k!

For years, Chip has been trying to get me to enter a 5k. Walk - run - he didn't care. I have proudly cheered him on in several 5k's, half marathons, and even three marathons! He just loves the environment, the people, and how it makes him feel. Although the desire has always been there, I just never DID it - you know, that's how it is with lots of things, right? Well, I guess he was tired of waiting, cause he went ahead and signed me up and told me he hoped I was ready to participate a 5k in a couple of weeks! I don't think he'll ever know how much I appreciate that, cause I already can't wait for the next one! But next time, I'll be up with the runners, instead of with the walkers in the back.

Here I am, waiting for my ride with my banana smoothie! I was excited, and for some reason a bit nervous too, even though it was no longer than I walk every day. Although I was with the walkers, I ran as much as I could - it was hard! I was glad when I was running and I would come to a crowd that was impossible to get through, cause I had to stop running and walk till I could find another gap to run again!

The kids surprised me with signs they had made for me to see when I passed. They said things like "Mom, you rock" and "Keep on Going" and "Go mom, Go!" Ofcourse I got emotional when I saw them. Chip was my biggest supporter and called me several times on the course to see how I was doing, and to tell me that he was proud of me!

What a great feeling to be there with 13,000 other people, all there uniting for the same cause, and all with someone in mind who has suffered from, or who is suffering with breast cancer.
Everyone wore a pink paper on their backs that said either "In memory of" or "In celebration of" with the names of people they were racing for. My friend, who I went with, ran for a close friend who just passed away 2 months ago from breast cancer. She was only 35 and left behind her husband and young son. So, on my back, I had her name, and Granny, who I remember saying goodbye to in the hospital when I was 8 years old. She too had breast cancer.
It was a wonderful day. I will be participating every year!

What an amazing experience that I wish I had a long time ago. But here's to new goals, and many more 5k's, and who knows what else in the future! Thank you Chip!

14 comments:

Jody said...

I am so jealous!! For one - you are so darn skinny!! Keep it up girl! And two - that is what I have missed the most in being pregnant, going on my distance runs. I know this may be a bit much but lets run our first marathons together!!!

Beth said...

Oh. I have chills and chills and chills! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

Faye said...

WE. ARE. PROUD OF YOU. HEY!
WE ARE PROUD OF YOU! (Think high school cheer.) Outstanding Tracy! And what a neat husband to give you the little nudge that you needed.

Tracy said...

Hey, sounds great! But let's start with a half marathon. :) And thanks for the compliment, but I must have posted only the pictures with the decent angles or something! Although I HAVE lost 5 pounds since Beth was here in March - so that's cool!

Tracy said...

Oh! I didn't see all those comments after Jody's! Thanks everybody!!

Brooke said...

oh my gosh! good for you! can't wait to read the post on the 1/2 marathon! :)

Tracy said...

ha! I bet blogging will be like a vcr is to us now by the time that happens! (did that make sense?)

Holly said...

nice job tracy! our family is gearing up for the 5K here in provo on the 4th of july. i'll probably walk/jog it. i told myself that i would start running after losing 30 pounds (so i don't kill my ankles & knees) and i'm almost there! 26.8 lost baby! i would love to love to run. you would think that my dad who ran 13 marathons, and a million other races would have produced at least one running child out of seven, but no one is as serious as he is. so far.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

congrats Tracy!! That is one serious accomplishment. You are an inspiration... I love the pics with your kids cheering you on.. Great job :)


Aracely

Katie said...

Way to go!!! I would love to accomplish something that rewarding!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy!

Anonymous said...

great job Tracy---
and thank-you for running the Breast Cancer as your first of many 5k's..we run them every year also!
we are running the HB 4th of July and Drew will be running the mile run this year too.
keep it up Tracy and congrates!

Anonymous said...

No WAY (Faye)...I was just sitting here reading all of the comments on your blog and came across the one from Faye about high school cheer (We. Are. Proud of you. Hey, we are proud of you!) Boy did hearing that ever bring back some memories.

Carrie

Anonymous said...

cont'd....

Katella Knights woooo hoooo...GO BIG RED!!!!! Okay, I'll stop now...I'm stopping...lol. Hey, old habits die hard sometimes. What can I say?