Monday, March 17, 2008

Twelve Plus One

Thirteen. Chip refuses to say it when talking about how old Taylor is today.

So, today, Taylor is 12 + 1. Don't know if I have yet swallowed the fact that I am now the mother of a teenager. I mean, how can that be?!

Was it really 13 years ago that Chip was in Thailand on pins and needles waiting for our baby to be born (who was a week late!!) and to receive the news that he was a daddy?

Incredible how much things have changed. We had no cell phones, no e-mail. We were so far away from each other, without communication. Having to have an unexpected C-section, nobody had a chance to try and get in touch with Chip yet.

Well, not able to wait much longer, Chip finally got permission to make a phone call home to see what was happening. My step-dad, Dave answered the phone, and not knowing that Chip didn't know anything said "Hey dad!" How awesome that was. He told Chip I was in the hospital holding our little Taylor.

Six weeks later, Chip held his first child for the first time. It was unforgettable.


This picture speaks a thousand words.

Friday night, Chip and I, and Beth and Fo'ou took Taylor and her three favorite friends out for her birthday. Taylor's favorite food in the world is steak - so we took her to our favorite steakhouse - Texas Roadhouse! The girls got their own table - which they loved. The best thing about this restaurant is the fact that the floor is covered with peanut shells. People are encouraged to eat the peanuts from the buckets on the tables, and then throw the shells on the floor. It's a crack up.



After that, we surprised them with a fun time at Fast Lane - the girls had a blast racing each other!



Happy birthday Taylor. You are a joy in our lives, and the lives of others. We love you very much!



By the way.... did the leprechauns do this to anybody else's milk this morning?!?!

7 comments:

Cassi said...

I love that picture of Chip holding Taylor, so precious! It almost made me tear up just looking at it :-)

Anonymous said...

How fun!!!!! Happy Birthday Taylor!!!! I cannot believe you guys have a 13 year old. Great pictures.

Aunt Carrie

Anonymous said...

As tough as it is having a teenager for a daughter, it's just as tough having a grandchild turn teenager. I guess I'll have to stop referring to her as one of my grandbabies. I suppose I can get used to granddaughter (and a very proud grandmother she has!). That looked like a great birthday celebration. A very very special young lady.
Love,
Mom/Gramma

Cherri Regnier said...

You don't look old enough to have a teenage daughter. That is really a remarkable photo, it could be on the cover of the newspaper or a magazine.

I was at Jody's house yesterday and the leprechauns had gotten into her milk also.

Aunt Roo said...

I love the Birthday Couch! We love Taylor so much and are so excited for her. Happy Birthday, Cutie!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Taylor!! What a fun looking day. I almost teared up just reading the history. I remember watching Chip coming up to you and how you were shaking when waiting for him. Such a sweet story to tell.

Katie said...

Happy birthday Taylor! Poor mom and dad...don't worry, you don't have to ACT like you have a teenage daughter! :)