Monday, October 15, 2007

The Hippie Hop!

The Hippie Hop at school was such a fun evening! You should have seen us scrambling around the house for beads, headbands, peace stickers - anything to make us look "hippie-ish!" (Except Jack still insisted on his BSU jersey, and Ilai ofcourse the 49er's!)

Eden followed the dance steps being taught very intently!
The hula-hoop contest was the high-light. They competed by grade. Aubrey came in 3rd for her grade, Hannah came in 2nd. My nephew, Ilai did awesome during the warm-ups but when the official music started - down went his hoop! Darn! Jack was the first to run out and claim the blue hula hoop when they announced the Kindergartners.... and also the first to have to sit down when it didn't stay up for more than a half a second. He wiggled and wriggled any way he could to keep that hula hoop up, but no such luck.


But guess what? My niece, Eden - she WON! Wow, she is one awesome hula-er! And she better be with that Polynesian blood! When the whole crowd roared with applause and "oohs and ahs" - she just smiled shyly and gladly accepted her Starburst prize.



Beth and I had a lot of fun - spent too much money on admission, pizza, and glowsticks, but it was worth it to see how much fun the kids were having. Hippie talk was fun too - all night the kids would hold up their fingers and say....... "Peace." (Who am I kidding? Beth and I started it with the bank teller before we even GOT to the dance!) The next morning, Eden played her soccer game with a faint peace sign drawn with eyeliner on her cheek. I love it.

6 comments:

thebirdflock said...

That looks like a blast:)

Holly said...

I was quickly scanning the text for your announcement that Eden did the best. I saw that girl hula hoop last May and she is GOOD!!!

Also, I'm totally laughing at the idea of you and Beth being silly before the dance at the bank. Brings back old memories (not of a bank teller per say, but you know what I mean) and it also just makes me want to hang out with you girls!

Boise is only a six hour drive, right?

Tracy said...

yes! yes! YOU MUST COME!!!!!!!!!!!

Topsy said...

I'm so sad that I missed the dance. Girls night out - I was wishing you had come with us, but it looks like you made the right choice.

Sydney said...

So much fun! Looks like a great time was had by all!

Topsy said...

Come home. We've been waiting for you guys to get home forever!!!!!